Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Tribute....

I find myself at the ripe old age of 30-something pondering about Life, the Universe, and Everything. Why do bad things happen to good people? And how do these good people carry on with life in general? I am incredibly lucky and am healthy as a horse, but I do know several absolutely wonderful ladies who cannot say the same, and yet never grumble and are always upbeat and the first to jump in and help where needed.

One such person is Tanya. She was diagnosed with a particularly agressive form of breast cancer last summer, and has undergone some pretty heavy radiotherapy and chemotherapy. As a bystander it was hard to watch her lose her hair and her energy, but she never lost her determination and will to live. Can I tell you what she's doing this Saturday, a meer 10 months after her diagnosis, and just 6 short weeks after her last bout of chemo? She's doing the Maggies Monster Bike and Hike. This involves a 30 mile cycle through the Scottish Highlands, immediately followed by a 43 mile hike, again through the Highlands! She has trained almost everyday through her treatment, and in the horrendous snow and ice we had this winter, and quite frankly I'm in awe of her.

She also returns to work on Tuesday next week, as a Real Nappy Adviser, and so today's card has been made in honour of her. I'd deliberately not made her a Get Well Soon card as I felt this was not what she would have wanted or needed, and so I have made her a Celebrate card. To celebrate all she has personally achieved and I hope will continue to achieve for a very long time yet.

But of course I couldn't make a card without it fitting with a couple of challenge blogs could I? So I'd like to enter this one into this weeks Outlawz Wednesday Sketch ChallengeCute Card Thursday, which can involve using a sketch from another site, and the For Fun Challenges blog, which this weeks calls for Green cards, as in environmentally green not the colour. My BP is all about the environment and Tanya is an advocate of re-usable, washable nappies :D

This is the sketch from the Outlawz which my card is based on:

7 comments:

  1. C, wonderful card, wonderful tribute and Tanya sounds like one amazing person to count as a friend. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - a really nice card to give to your friend :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. C, what a wonderful friend you have! And you describe her so perfectly I can just see the determined spirit in her. Beautiful card, and I think you're right about not making a get well card, the celebration means so much more!
    Kudo's on the handmade flowers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful card Clair for a wonderful lady - a well deserved tribute. Hugs, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend is a truely amazing person. Your lucky to know her. She is lucky to have a friend who cares for her and made her such a cute card. Thanks for playing along on For Fun, and we wish your friend the best. Please let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire! This card is beautiful, and ther lady in question truely is an inspiration! great idea to make her this card, I just know she'll appreciate it. Thanks for joining us at FOR FUN this week. Hugs, Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really cute card - love how you used the sketch and how those flowers seem to fly in the air, blown away by a warm summer wind.

    Thanks for playing with us at CCT this week!

    Hugs,
    Kathrin aka Kruemel

    ReplyDelete