Saturday, July 9, 2011

Adventures in Grunge

Grunge is the new Black, and Tim Holtz is a Hero, blah, blah, blah. A body can't help but see marvellous grungy creations and altered items popping up all over blogland, but I suspect it's not for the faint hearted, or those who like things clean and simple.....Distress inks are not "clean".
With the Dunderthal's birthday rapidly approaching, I figured a card was in order, and as he likes "old stuff", then a grungy collage was going to be attempted. Not so easy.
Choosing my focal image was a lucky strike - the nice lady at Create with TLC had this freebie on Friday which is just perfect for him. I  had some newspaper print backing paper and some postage stamp backing paper which I could hack to pieces, already in my stash. I also made a load of panels of text using dictionary definitions from various sites of words like "Vintage", "Classic" and "Antique", and also printed off some slightly larger quotations about cars and aging etc. Some string and buttons were thrown into the mix and I started layering it all up. That's when it all went downhill. I just could not fill the card with all these bits and bobs - I can't do clutter!
So, after deciding a grungy collage was going to be a bit of a failure, I settled for a very watered down version, which I can just about live with. I still have two more evenings of crafting time available, so this may not be the birthday card the Dunderthal eventually ends up with.....
Handily, the challenge on Crafty Catz this week is for a Vintage Look so all is not lost.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely first try at Grunge! I think you captured the feel perfectly. The car is absolutely gorgeous -- I can imagine John Dillinger and his tommy guns driving around in that classic! (History note: Dillinger is a 1930's era U.S gangster from Indiana. The U.S's first Public Enemy #1).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire
    A fabulous card,thankyou for joining us on this week's challenge at CraftyCatz
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Just about live with" ??!! I could throw a card like this together, I would be jumping with joy. I know a lot of men, that would go "Cool card - look at that car!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claire, your card is fab, love the whole look of it, thanks for sharing it with us at CraftyCatz this week.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one understand your struggle. However, I agree with everyone - you pulled it off. Grunge doesn't mean it has to be 10 inches high with stuff and weigh two pounds you know ;) I think this is a great card and Dunderthal will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C, think you did a great first job on grunge. Must admit it scares me just to think about trying this myself...pretty and girly is soooooo much easier, just sayin...

    ReplyDelete